Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You only get one shot

In Your Face
Joe Louis Fist Statue Detroit Michigan

 Photograph by Gordon Dean II
Last February Alison was sitting in Washington with some of the other students who had fellowships to work as interns in a variety of federal offices.  They were enjoying a fun Sunday evening watching the Superbowl when she stopped the show and yelled "LOOK!  It's Detroit!"  


Chrysler's Imported from Detroit commercial gained extraordinary acclaim by tapping into America's love of the underdog, and the underdog's love of muscle cars, music, and hope that axle grease will resurrect both car company and city.  It must be working:  Chrysler's sales were up 20% in July, leading all domestic automakers, per this Wall Street Journal article.  As for Detroit, well... that will take a bit more time.


Eminem's theme song from the movie "8 Mile" is one of Alison's favorite running tunes.  She sent me another version of it today to help keep me motivated.  It worked!  I don't run listening to music, but I haven't been able to stop listening to the official video of the choir behind the commercial, Selected of God.  It moves me, and as I ran today, I kept thinking of the truth in the the final lyric.  You only get one shot.


Até amanhã... 
8/30/11 - 4.2 miles | 46 mins | 5.4 mph | 449 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment