Pages

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fueling the engine

MacDonald's ice cream cone nutrition facts
Everyone who lives in the Detroit metropolitan region is aware that using high quality fuel makes a difference in automobile engine output.  Human engines are not that much different; they also function more efficiently with high quality food. Alison and I both had occasion during this week's long runs to question how to best feed our bodies to allow us to have optimal training sessions for our levels of fitness.  We've both noticed, for example, that we run better in the morning before we've had anything to eat, especially if the meal the evening before was high quality food.  I also know that I can't have more than a taste of coffee if I run in the morning, although I have heard of one study citing that a taste of a sweet beverage prior to a exercise increases athletic performance.  It has become something of an art balancing how much liquid to consume before and during a run to ensure substantial hydration without a sloshing sound coming from my midsection.  All of this requires more personal study.


I am happy to say that this Sunday I have completed 8 full weeks of running every single day, whether rain or heatwave. In the last seven days I ran a total of 22.1 miles. All together, since starting this project on June 12th, I have spent 30 hours to run 143.9 miles, averaging 4.8 miles/hour, expending 16,026 kcal. 


I feel compelled to mention that 16,026 kcal is the equivalent of 107 MacDonald's soft serve ice cream cones, one of my favorite treats.  :)
Até amanhã... 
8/7/11 - 2.0 miles | 21 mins | 5.7 mph | 213 kcal

2 comments:

  1. Phew, you've almost burned as many calories as the number of cones you've eaten this summer. :) --Alison

    ReplyDelete