Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Buzzard food

The weather front that passed last night brought the first twinge of the seasons changing.  I'm amazed at the many signs of autumn already visible in the neighborhood.  A few trees have pinches of color, the sumac berries are beginning to bud, and all the little turkey buzzard chicks have gotten BIG.  I rounded one of the corners of the back route I like to take when I run in the evening.  There in my path was an entire gaggle of turkey buzzards, just standing there, looking at *me*.  


I immediately was reminded of the feeling I had while watching my first Hitchcock movie when I was about seven, only the birds in The Birds seemed a whole lot smaller than these.  I slowed my pace just a bit, but kept running, not sure what else to do.  I noticed the deep red of their featherless heads, the beady twitching of their eyes, and the nasty sharp point at the end of their flesh eating beaks.  Just when I decided it might be better to turn back in search of an alternate route, they started running, and then took flight.  I remained unsettled with 30+ carrion connoisseurs flying not very far above my head, but they didn't bother me, so I kept on running.


I can honestly say I've never before been challenged to think on my feet because I was being stared down by a collection of vultures.  I was happy when I got home to read this in Wiki Answers:
"Turkey vultures are only interested in food items that do not move, run away or fight back."
Amen.


Até amanhã... 
8/25/11 - 3.2 miles | 36 mins | 5.4 mph | 355 kcal

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe it feels like fall there already. You have all the best wildlife encounters! --Alison

    ReplyDelete