Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fried chicken

Put The Help on your reading short list!
It is so much fun to enjoy a well executed movie with a good plot, fine filming, and excellent acting.  Such was the case last night when Alison and I went to see The Help.  We had both read the novel by Kathryn Stockett over the summer, and were enthralled to see that this wonderful story by a first-time author went from hitting the shelves in February, 2009, to a full length, WONDERFUL feature film in 2 1/2 years.  We had to be there last night when it opened, and we were not disappointed.  


What does this story about three women in pre-civil rights Mississippi have to do with running?  Alison suggested I include in today's blog the fried chicken recipe as recited by Minnie Jackson, one of the main characters in the story.  I'm in no way trying to infringe on my dear friend Mary, the Food Floozie's blog, but this recipe has merit from a motivational perspective.


Minnie Jackson's Fried Chicken
  1. Soak chicken in buttermilk.
  2. In a double paper bag pour flour, salt, more salt, pepper, paprika, and a pinch of cayenne.
  3. Put the chicken in the bag and shake it.
  4. Fry in crisco on the stove in a skillet.
  5. Do not burn Minnie's chicken.  Or else.
Minnie knew a lot about how to make fried chicken, and, as it turned out, many other things.  People need to enjoy life, and look forward to small motivational pleasures.  Minnie derived such joy from chicken fried in crisco that it became her  metaphor for life.  I personally have spent a lot of time avoiding both fried chicken and crisco, not because I don't like them, but because I know that if I consumed as much as I would like I wouldn't be able to run.  After watching The Help last night, I've decided to celebrate the successful completion of my half-marathon in Minnie Jackson fashion, with a sizzlin' skillet of the world's finest chicken as one of my rewards when I cross the finish line.  Why do we run?  So we can enjoy the things we love in life.  What are some of the finest things in life?  Read the book, and then go see the movie!


Até amanhã... 
8/11/11 - 4.3 miles | 50 mins | 5.1 mph | 471 kcal



No comments:

Post a Comment