Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

NEC ASPERA TERRANT

Colonial Percy Faucett
Eight weeks down, eight weeks to go!  I'm happy with my progress, but feeling the mid-training ennui. Yes, I have run 143 miles, but I still have at least 143 more to go.  In times like these it's important to keep everything in perspective. It seems like a mountain, but really, all I need to do is keep running roughly another 30 to 40 hours, with the worst of my adversaries being deer flies and my own preference for sitting on my comfy couch while eating bon-bons.  Here's a great suggestion from my fearless daughter for those moments when one just doesn't feel like running:  Inscribe "NEC ASPERA TERRANT" on your running shoes, so that you can see it every time you look down.


nec and neque [not; nor]
terreo, terrere [to frighten, terrify; scare away; to deter]

asper -era -erum [difficult]


Nec aspera terrant, or Undaunted by difficulties, is an ageless motto of warriors and explorers.  These are the fighting words of fearless folks such as Colonial Percy Fawcett, who traveled rather further and longer through the rather more dangerous wilds of Brazil in 1925 looking for lost ancient cities and treasure than I ever do through the back roads of SE Michigan.  His challenges most certainly exceeded running a half-marathon, and his exploits remain the source of discussion until today.  If you're in the mood to take a few minutes off from your own search for lost treasure or quest for boundless glory, enjoy watching this PBS special Lost in the Amazon, and remember that all you have to do is jog around the block. It will make the miles you run seem easy.  
Até amanhã... 
8/8/11 - 2.0 miles | 21 mins | 5.7 mph | 213 kcal - two days in a row!






1 comment:

  1. Another translation is "Difficulties be damned," my personal favorite. :) You should write about the River of Doubt next time! -Alison

    ReplyDelete