Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Watching the metrics

Exactly five weeks ago I returned from the junket to New Orleans and the beignet bakeries, among a few thousand other calorific establishments.  On the trip home I decided that physical action other than lifting food to mouth was required.  I had always wanted to run a marathon, but the knees!  The time!!  the SWEAT!!!  Yet... since high school the siren call of "you CAN do this" has always been in the back of my mind.  A marathon?  Well, perhaps not this year.  A half-marathon??  Doable.  Do it!  I told myself that I would make myself run a minimum of 2 miles per day for six weeks in a row.  After that, if I was falling apart at the seams, and the world were ending, I would allow myself to quit this idea and move on to other things.  Today, weeks after making that decision, I report on my progress.


The first day I ran, June 12th, I started out "running" by defining it as the slowest I could possibly go and still call it, technically speaking, RUNNING. I made it through the two miles I designated as my primary course, didn't faint, and recorded running 1.9 miles in 26 minutes, 4.3 miles/hour.  Given that I survived the first run, I headed out on day #2.  And #3.  And every single following day in June.  I logged 39 miles and 4552 kcal burned in the month of June.  Better yet, I increased my stamina from 4.3 mph to 4.8 mph, 12%!


Today was hot, buggy, and I wasn't much in the mood.  But I said I'd do it, so the sneakered up, and out I went.  I'm happy to report my best time so far: 2.0 miles in 22 minutes, for 213 kcal burned, and most importantly, I ran 5.5 mph.  In five weeks I've improved my speed by 28%!


I can't guarantee that I can improve this much every month.  But I can guarantee that improving ones health and stamina, and then maintaining it, is a wonderful benefit not only to one's running hobby, but to one'e whole life.  Hurray!


Até amanhã... 


7/10/11 - 2.0 miles | 22 mins | 5.5 mph | 213 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment