Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pacing myself

I was somewhat less than enthusiastic this morning when the post-dawn light permeated my tightly closed eyelids and I realized that Task #1 on my checklist for the day was to run 5 miles. It took some significant mental gymnastics to talk myself into throwing off the sheet and throwing on my non-stiletto sneakers.  I promised myself that I would take it easy, just to get myself to do it.  Remember, Wendy, this is an exercise, not a race.  Just look at the scenery and keep putting one foot in front of the other.


A half hour later I was out the door, and 13 minutes later my phone tracker announced, "One. Mile. Thirteen. Minutes. Twelve. Seconds."  Holy Toledo!  (That's a city located in the O-How-I-Hate state, btw.)  I wasn't only taking it easy, is a 13 minute mile still running??  WAKE UP!


I picked up the pace, lengthened my stride, and to my surprise found that I was feeling pretty spunky.  I kept running.  I took a couple of side paths, and, despite the heat, truly felt at home on the trail.  An hour and eight minutes after starting, I was back at my driveway -- exceeding my goal of 5 miles, and doing more than 5 miles per hour!  Hurray!


Até amanhã... 
7/16/11 - 5.8 miles | 1 hr 8 mins | 5.0 mph | 647 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment