Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

"Lake Placid moment"

What's a "Lake Placid moment"?  It's when the significant underdog seizes a once in a lifetime moment, marshals every single bit of force within and without, and wins the competition against all odds, as did the 1980 US Olympic hockey team of college amateurs against the Russian pros.  Unfortunately for Abby Wambach and the rest of the US Women's National soccer team, it was Japan who had a "Lake Placid moment" yesterday, not the United States.  I admit to feeling the intense disappointment of defeat after supporting our team, much as I recognize that Japan is a country needing a win.  I try in general to not become overly invested in the outcome of games, but rather prefer to support the idea of playing and staying fit.  Yesterday, though, I felt the pain as we lost after 120 minutes of regular and overtime play, into the penalty shots.  My second favorite soccer team after the US WNT is the Brazilian National team.  To add injury to an already insulted fan, Os Brasileiros also also outdid themselves in defeat.  Their game was an uncanny parallel to the women's game.  They also lost after overtime in the penalty shots, to Paraguay (WHO??).  Result: Brazil was knocked out of the Copa America.  Ah yes, the world has been upended!


What's the lesson here?  In my opinion, it is the entire reason to watch sports, to participate in sporting activities, to invest the mental and physical energy in pursuits that are for "fun" rather than survival.  Soccer, "the Beautiful Game", is an extraordinary metaphor for life.   Playing soccer requires individual accomplishment, teamwork, vast preparation, intense concentration, instantaneous action and well-planned thought.  No one can win all of the time; all losses viewed with proper perspective are preludes to future victories.  I love soccer.


What does this have to do with running?  I still was in the doldrums this morning as I set out on my 43rd morning run in as many days.  Today's run was misery, simply put.  It was extremely hot and humid, buggy, sticky, UCKy out there.  But, I have a goal, and I am not to be dissuaded.  


To the US Woman's National Team (and Abby Wambach in particular): the summer Olympics are a year away, and the next World Cup will be where the American voice will thunder just north of the border when Canada hosts in 2015
To the Brazilian men's national team: the next World Cup will be on your home turf, and you will shine.  
And to me: "You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race."  (~Psychedelic Furs, "Love My Way")


Até amanhã... 
7/18/11 - 2.0 miles | 22 mins | 5.1 mph | 213 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment