Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Four b4 breakfast

Yup, that's right, I ran four miles before breakfast!  Sounds great, right?  I am proud that I got the 4+ miles in, but I have to be honest, I'm not a breakfast person, so of course I ran them before breakfast. Over the years I've looked into this subject a number of times.  There is a lot of research out there supporting breakfast-eating as a health promoting activity.  I believe what I read, too!  Here's a nice example warning for the anti-breakfast group from Lance Armstrong's Foundation:

Health Implications of Not Eating Breakfast
"Consequences of skipping breakfast can include increased likelihood of obesity, decreased mental ability, increased stress and poor nutrition decisions the rest of the day....
"Researchers found that people who skipped breakfast on a regular basis had 4.5 times the risk for obesity compared with regular breakfast eaters. Total calorie intake per day was also higher when participants skipped breakfast compared with when they ate breakfast....
"A 2003 study from the "European Journal of Clinical Nutrition" suggests that breakfast skipping was correlated to other harmful habits, such as smoking, frequent alcohol use and infrequent exercise in adolescents and parents...."


Lordy-me!  I oughta be a chubby, cigarette smoking, dimwitted, stress-ridden alcoholic, based on that synopsis.




Some may agree with at least part of that description as it pertains to me, but truly, overall, I'm beating the odds on most of it.  And also truly, it's a rare day that I eat anything before about 10:30 AM, even when I do get up early.  Today's breakfast, eaten at 10:30 AM, was two pieces of high fiber whole wheat toast, smothered in Jif (eeek -- a hydrogenated sin that entered my cupboard when I wasn't looking!), homemade freezer jam, topped (by my daughter when I wasn't looking) with sprinkles!  


Breakfast of champions.


Até amanhã... 
7/18/11 - 4.2 miles | 54 mins | 4.7 mph | 475 kcal




1 comment:

  1. I bet the sprinkles were the best part! --Alison

    ReplyDelete