Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Piece of cake

While the official temperature outside right now, according to published sources, is 80o, the Accuweather "RealFeel" heat index is 87o. Forget about all of that. The true, sweat-filled, honest-to-goodness we're-not-kidding temperature is the one listed on the thermometer affixed to my pantry window that's taking the full brunt of the sun, just as we do when we're on the trails. As of this writing, it states in diabolical glory:



113o Fahrenheit.
113o Fahrenheit
I did see this before I left the house, but, undaunted, I maintained my resolve to keep with my program and get out on the trail.  After all, that's 113oF in the SUN, right?  Not the shade.  If it were 113oF in the shade, I'd be in Texas, not Michigan.  No excuses not to run if it's 113oF in the sun.  Out I went, and I did it, accomplishing 4 miles.


Lest I be hubristic, my daughter ran eight (8) miles today.  She not only ran 8 miles, she had to endure having Pheidippides ran up behind her and start a conversation seven (7) miles into her run.  Somehow they were able to gasp out enough words to realize they both speak Chinese, if not Greek, and actually hold some dialog in that language for almost a mile.  As she turned her final corner to come home, the eidolon happily told her to enjoy the rest of the day; he was dashing off to happily run another two hours(!).


Words of wisdom from my girl who knows: Alison says that when you're running 8 miles, 4 miles seems like a piece of cake.


Hmmm.  I could have used some of that cake today.  


Até amanhã... 


7/9/11 - 4.0 miles | 52 mins | 4.6 mph | 435 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment