Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What is moderation?

Runners are famous for becoming addicted to the fix their chosen sport provides.  I can identify with that sentiment.  After running 37 miles last week, it seemed a good idea for me to take a full two-day break before hitting the road again.  In truth, I had more than enough to do to keep me busy, such that the 2 miles I had planned for yesterday just didn't fit in the schedule.  But by today I was longing to get back out on this sunny 75 degree fall afternoon for a quick run.  Happy me running on a happy day!

I started thinking about what is the best amount of time to rest after a particularly long running week.  Although I didn't run a marathon, the amount I did run definitely exceeds my standard even over the last 3 months.  How much rest and recuperation is necessary?  There is an adage passed around running circles that the amount of recovery time after a long run is that runners should take a day of recovery for every mile.  No way!  If I took even 11 days off for the 11 miles I did on Sunday I wouldn't run again until 2 days before my official half-marathon.  A little research turned up this quote by two-time Olympian and Exercise Physiologist Pete Pfitzinger as published in a runningtimes.com article:
"After running a marathon, there are basically three options. You can: 1) vow never to run again; 2) take some time off and then gradually get back into training; or 3) jump into full training as quickly as possible. Option 1 is not recommended. Option 3 should be chosen with caution. Option 2 is almost always the wisest choice."
What is moderation when it comes to running?  For me, the answer is to run as many days as I can, a little or a lot, so that I build health and happiness, and to stop before I damage either.  Okay, I did my two days of rest, now let me put those running shoes back on!
Até amanhã... 

9/21/11 - 2.0 miles | 19:23 min | 6.0 mph | 207 kcal



No comments:

Post a Comment