Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Running in the rain

It was cold yesterday, and today it is both cold and wet.  Determined to be undaunted by mere weather, I waited until it was a medium drizzle rather than full downpour and suited up for my 2 mile interval run.  I used a visor to keep as much of the rain off of my glasses as possible, and my old running shoes so that the new ones can stay clean a little longer.  According to about.com, I had the right idea.  They say:



  • Dress in layers if it's cold.
  • Wear a hat with a brim.
  • Don't overdress.
  • Wear something bright so that you're visible.
  • Wear old running shoes
  • Prevent chafing (not necessary on short runs)
  • Protect your electronics
  • Dry your shoes and everything else thoroughly when you're done
  • JUST RUN!



About.com was right, particularly on the last point.  The hardest part of the whole thing was before I began, when I was looking out the window and saying, "Yuck!  I just don't want to do this!"  Once I got started, I found myself having a great run.   I realized that the rain was refreshing, and the novelty made it more fun.  I doubt that the novelty would carry over if it were a 10 mile run, but for a 2 mile run it was *perfect*.  How do I know that?  I ran my fastest 2 miles so far!  
Até amanhã... 
9/7/11 - 2.0 miles | 18:23 min | 6.6 mph | 211 kcal


No comments:

Post a Comment