Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

DROID!!!!!!!!

I took a very leisurely trot around the lake early this morning before the temperature hit the forecasted 98 degrees. No pushing for time or form on this run, I just wanted to stay loose in preparation for tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll be able to run a full 10 miles, for the first time since I was 17.


You may wonder how I count the time, miles, rate and kcals.  I use the CardioTrainer app on my Droid phone.  It maps the route, and totals all the metrics by day, week, month and year.  It's very encouraging to look at the "How far have I gone?" map to see that since the beginning of the year I have run, walked, paddled, peddled, and skied all the way to either Jacksonville, Florida or Sioux Falls, South Dakota.  I still have 12 states on my "haven't visited yet" list.  Maybe this is how I'll do it: virtually, by phone, in keeping with the latest generation.  If you also have this app, send me an email and we'll have a friendly competition by connecting with the app feed share.  


   :)   The wonderful part about the app is that while running it will tell you "ONE .. MILE .. NINE .. MINUTES .. THIRTEEN .. SECONDS", or "TWO .. MILES .. SIX .. MILES - PER - HOUR" for encouragement.  


   :(   The bad part is that my phone tends to reset midway through many of my runs so I still have to use my stopwatch and do the math.  When the phone resets it displays a flash graphic like the one on the left.  Most annoying!  


I recently saw a billboard advertising the Motorola Droid picturing that little red reset graphic.  Not good advertising:  None of us who have to put up with that mechanical voice saying "Lost Service" accompanied by the pretty flash illustration are inspired to buy a phone that displays it because it just reset again.


Hopefully my phone will avoid the reset for the 2 hours or so it will likely take me to run 10 miles tomorrow, so that I can have a better idea how to set my pace for the big race, which is exactly one month from today.  Yeah!


Até amanhã... 
9/2/11 - 2.0 miles | 21:58 mins | 5.5 mph | 211 kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment