Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The best week ever!

Seeing yourself finish the race on the Big Screen at the Big House
What does it take to have the very best week ever?

  • Extraordinary weather:  temperatures in in the 70's, twenty degrees warmer than usual, and no rain for the last week
  • Hometown football teams undefeated:  Wolverines 6 - 0!  Lions 5 - 0!
  • Lining up on race day
    15,000 runners in the stadium
  • Hometown baseball team on the way to the world series:  Ooops ... those darned Texans are interfering with the plan, but the Tigers are back on home turf in Detroit tonight ...  

Better stop while I'm ahead and concentrate on all the great things happening that are withIN my control!

I concluded my 2011 running season on Sunday to the sound of Hail to the Victors by running through the University of Michigan Big House tunnel to see myself on the jumbo-tron screen.  What a rush!  As one of the 15,000 people who ran the Big House/Big Heart race through the streets of Ann Arbor on Sunday morning I felt like I was conquering Ann Arbor the same as I did when I received my degree at Crisler Arena (I'll leave you to guess how long ago).  I didn't run the 10k as fast as I have in the past, but I did enjoy the crowd, scenery, and ambiance as a fine celebration of a successful running season.


Anticipation at the Detroit Wheel House early Saturday
St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit
I also participated in a wonderful bike tour on Saturday with Detroit Synergy.  We rode through the streets of Detroit with guides who recounted the history of several of Detroit's historic music venues, including St. Andrew's Hall and more than a few bars in Hamtramck.  The spirit of Detroit was abundant everywhere.  The Riverwalk was crowded with walkers, joggers, and bikers enjoying a glorious day.  Eastern Market was wall-to-wall with folks enjoying the fruits of a bountiful autumn harvest, and I enjoyed a bag of yummy warm Amish molasses cookies.  The Detroit Institute of Arts has placed numerous paintings around town outside, juxtaposed with street art, providing a bountiful visual surprise in the most unexpected places. I can't wait for the next opportunity to experience Michigan's prime city from the pavement up.

Art on the Dequindre Cut
Now I'm moving on to preparation for 2012's running endeavors.  My legs and ligaments will rest until spring while I build a different set of muscles.  I won't be running regularly again until February, when I will begin training for the Indianapolis Half Marathon on May 5th, and the Detroit Marathon next fall.  In the meantime I'm working on weight training over the winter, along with other non-percussive exercise including bike riding and cross-country skiing.  Judging by my sore arm muscles today, it's a good thing I started my weights yesterday.

I'm also taking time off from regular blogging until spring running training begins.  I will be concentrating on other writing projects while lifting weights over the winter, so will only post periodic updates about fun events and when my favorite teams win championships (!).  But spring is not that far away, and I'm actively anticipating new cool adventures to do and share.  Want to joint me?  Whatever you choose to do to stay fit and active, let's be ready to run for our dreams and reach our goals in 2012!


Até LOGO... 


10/5/11 - 3.2 miles | 33 min | 5.8 mph | 352 kcal 
10/6/11 - 2.0 miles | 19 min | 6.0 mph | 210 kcal
10/7/11 - 4.0 miles | 44 min | 5.4 mph | 438 kcal


Detroit Synergy Rock 'n Roll Bike Ride + Eastern Market
10/8/11 - 21.0 miles | 200 min | 6.3 mph | 829 kcal


Big House/Big Heart 10k results
10/9/11 - 6.2 miles | 67 min | 5.6 mph | 655 kcal


Total miles run in 2011


356.7 miles run in 70 hours, averaging 5.1 miles/hour, expending 39001 calories 











No comments:

Post a Comment