Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

A beautiful day!

Next year --- DETROIT!
OOooo, it was cold and dark yesterday at 4:00 AM, when I had to get up to head to Oakland University with the hopes of ensuring a parking spot.  Arriving at 6:45 AM, the lot was already starting to fill, but fortunately the wait for the shuttle was only momentary.  It was 37 degrees, and all I really wanted was a hot cup of coffee.  I had on shorts and sweat pants, two long sleeved shirts, two sweatshirts, a jacket, gloves, and two headbands, and I was still cold.  I was seriously wondering how I was going to run the race wearing all these clothes, but I wasn't ready to give up any layers for fear of hypothermia.  I wasn't the only one.  I saw people wearing everything from multiple garbage bags to surgical sterile suits they could strip off and discard mid-race.  What I great idea for next time!  I stayed toasty for a time in the awards tent, which was jam-packed with other runners doing the same thing.  The energy in the air was contagious, helped along by loudspeakers playing some great music to guarantee a beautiful day.  I waited until the last minute to take off all but the most necessary layers and get into the queue... just to find out that the traffic was so bad that the start of the race had been delayed 15 minutes.  Ugh!  How to stay warm??!!

Doing a teeth-chattering warm-dance
waiting for the race to begin
I tucked myself in between the 10 minute and 11 minute mile flags, perhaps a bit optimistically, but was chilly enough that with 4500 or so participants I wanted to be as far up front as possible so that I could cut down the wait to get moving.  When the race began it took about 3 minutes before I went through the start gate, and was able to begin running.  I set a moderate pace, determined to not be affected by the cold runners around me to go too fast at the beginning and run out of steam for the famous Teinken Road incline. First mile 10:30... good.  Feeling great!  Second mile 10:47... excellent!  I went under the 1/2 way split checker at 1 hour 11 minutes... stellar!  I felt great, could go faster, but the runners' rumors of that nasty Tienken climb made me hold back.  It was also important to be aware of all the usual road hazards, including some major Michigan potholes, water cups dropped after drink stations, and numerous gloves, hats, shirts, and warm-ups of all descriptions that had been discarded after runners were warm. I also found it hard to constantly break rhythm to give hi-5's to well-wishers, so when I saw them coming I headed to the opposite side of the road, preferring to smile than loose arm momentum.

Collecting my warming foil and
medal at the finish line
Running for 2 1/2 hours straight can become monotonous, so the organizers provided  entertainment along the way.  There were some great bands playing a variety of music at various spots, and many organizations giving runners water and encouragement.  The other runners themselves were at once supportive and entertaining.  Many of the runners were in groups, chatting freely about the most amusing of subjects. Many participants wore inspirational shirts, and one carried a full size US Marines flag the entire distance.  I was occasionally distracted in my pace by the sound of heavy footsteps closing in behind me.  At one point the pounding was so heavy that I had to turn and look.  It wasn't the sound of feet on pavement that I heard.  I was surprised to see 59 year old local favorite Riley McLincha running while alternating dribbling and juggling three basketballs, at a 9:30 mile pace!

The time went fast, and before long I was at the 12 mile mark, turning the corner past the old Jacobson's store I had helped open many years ago... and on to the finish line!  I passed through the gate at 2 hours, 34 minutes, 47 seconds, #77/124 in my age/gender group.  I beat the my personal time from 3 weeks ago by 3 minutes, and am very happy with the results of my summer's hobby. :)  You may be wondering how I celebrated. As I had expended enough calories for the day there could be no better time to stop at Dexter Cider Mill for my annual one dozen steaming warm doughnuts and fresh-pressed cider -- this time all guilt-free! Then I napped the rest of the evening.  :)

Post-race recovery has gone well, aided by many hours of extra sleep and the best sugar/cinnamon hotcakes in the midwest. I didn't run today, but will hit the trail tomorrow to stay fit for this weekend's 10k at the Big House.  After that?  We'll see what comes next, but let's just say that Detroit 26.2 2012 is in the forefront of my mind.
Até logo... 
10/2/11 - 13.1 miles | 154 min | 5.1 mph | 1385 kcal 








No comments:

Post a Comment